03 Mar 2023
The magnitude of the tragedy in Haiti has been nearly unimaginable. As the stories of the suffering and courage of the Haitian people emerge, many have been moved to give. It is gratifying that the legal profession has generously supported relief efforts. In the week since the earthquake, many firms have made substantial contributions. The blog Above the Law has a complete list , but I give a shout out to those firms who serve on Legal Aid’s Board. The following is from Above the Law:
- Akin Gump: “Akin Gump is making a $50,000 donation — $25,000 to the American Red Cross and $25,000 to Mercy Corps. In addition, the firm will match donations from lawyers and staff up to $50,000.
- DLA Piper: Sponsoring “denim days” in various offices. Employees who contribute at least $5 to relief efforts can wear jeans. Lawyers and staff can make contributions through direct payroll deductions.
- Hogan & Hartson: “The firm will match contributions made by all firm personnel to the American Red Cross Haiti earthquake relief effort up to $100,000.”
- Latham & Watkins: “Latham & Watkins will match contributions made by firm personnel to any of the following relief organizations: Red Cross, Haiti Relief and Development Fund, Doctors Without Borders, Partners in Health, CARE, and World Vision. The firm will match all contributions up to a combined total of $200,000.”
- Morgan Lewis: Morgan Lewis Thursday told employees that the firm would match their contributions to the American Red Cross up to $100,000.
- Reed Smith: “In support of Haitian relief efforts, Reed Smith will make a $50,000 contribution, in increments of $10,000, to each of 5 international Relief organizations. The Firm will also implement a matching program to supplement your individual generosity, and match, up to a cumulative cap of $25,000 all Reed Smith partner or employee contribution made in January to one of [several designated organizations].”
- Skadden Arps: “Skadden will make an ‘aggregate donation’ of $100,000 to organizations providing relief in Haiti. The donation will be comprised partly of an initial contribution to relief organizations, and an additional fund under which the firm will match individual employee contributions of up to $500.”
- Steptoe & Johnson: “In observance of the upcoming Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday, the Firm will be observing Casual for a Cause day tomorrow (Friday, January 15th)…. We invite you to wear jeans this Friday by making a donation in support of the Haitian disaster relief efforts. We suggest a donation of $5…. You can give more if you like, and less if you have to, but a donation must be made in order to wear jeans.” In addition, the firm is matching contributions in the amount of up to $100 per person.
- Venable: “The Venable Foundation is donating approximately $30,000 to the relief effort and is encouraging individual donations from attorneys and staff.”
- Weil Gotshal: “Weil Gotshal announced Thursday that it will immediately make a contribution of $100,000, spread among three organizations with which the firm has an ongoing relationship - American Red Cross, Save the Children and Oxfam. In addition, Weil is doing an internal fundraising drive and expects that overall contributions will be over $200,000.”
Latest Blogs Posts
From the Desk of Vikram Swaruup: My First Week at Legal Aid
22 Feb 2023
Josephine Bahn to be Recognized with the Klepper Prize for Volunteer Excellence
Legal Aid is excited to announce that
14 Feb 2023