2021 Child Tax Credit
How to get your 2021 Child Tax Credit money even if you have no income!
Most people can get this money if:
- You have a child in your home who was under 18 at the end of 2021
- This includes foster children, grandchildren, and the children of other close relatives!
- The child lived with you more than half the time in 2021 and you can claim them as a dependent on your taxes
- The child has a Social Security number (even if you don’t have one!)
- You do not need to have income to claim this credit!
How much can I get?
- Up to $3,600 for every child under 6 years old
- Up to $3,000 for every child between 6 and 17 years old
- These amounts could be less if you earned too much money in 2021
What do I need to do?
You must file a 2021 tax return to get the money (even if you had no income in 2021)
You can prepare and file a return yourself using online guidance at IRS Free File.
What if I received advance child tax credit money last year?
- The advance payments only provided up to half of the money
- You should receive a letter (Letter No. 6419) from the IRS telling you how much advance money you got
- You must file a 2021 return to get the rest!
Questions? Call Legal Aid at (202) 628-1161.