2022 Child Tax Credit
Do you have children 16 or under and at least $2,500 in earnings? You may be eligible for the Child Tax Credit. If so, you may be eligible for a credit against your taxes of up to $2,000 per child and for extra money in a refund.
Do I qualify for the CTC?
- You and your spouse (if married filing jointly) must have an SSN or an ITIN
- You must have qualifying children. But that includes not only your own children, but foster children, younger brothers and sisters, and grandchildren as long as you can claim them as a dependent on your tax return.
- Your child must have been under 17 (16 or younger) on December 31, 2022.
- Your child must have lived with you for more than half of 2022.
- Your child must have a valid SSN.
How much can I get?
- For low-income filers, the credit is worth up to $2,000 per qualifying child.
- The credit will reduce any taxes you owe.
- Even if you don’t owe income tax, up to $1,500 of the Child Tax Credit is available as a refund to families earning more than $2,500!
- But you must file a tax return to get the credit.
- If you were eligible for the 2021 expanded Child Tax Credit and didn’t get it, it’s not too late. Visit http://www.taxoutreach.org/expanded to learn more.