DC Homeowner and Renter Property Tax Credit (Schedule H)

Do you own or rent a home or apartment in the District? If so, the credit provides tax relief to homeowners who pay property taxes and to renters who help support those payments. You may qualify to get this tax credit money even if you don’t owe any taxes to the District!

Do I qualify for this money?

  • You must be a DC resident who owned a home, apartment, or condo and lived there during all of 2023.

  • Your 2023 income must have been $61,300 or less ($83,700 or less if you are age 70 or older).

  • You are not claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.

  • The property you live in is subject to real property taxes. Some properties, like public housing or properties owned by a house of worship, aren’t taxed. 

How much can I get?'

  • The amount depends on the amount of property tax or rent paid and the amount of your income.

  • For 2023, the maximum amount is $1,325.

How do I get the money?

  • You can claim the credit on your 2023 DC tax return. But if you have no other reason to file a DC return, you can just file a “standalone” Schedule H form with the DC Office of Tax and Revenue.

    • If you are 60 years old or older, you can contact Legal Counsel for the Elderly at 202-434-2120 for help applying for the Schedule H credit.

  • During tax filing season (roughly February to April each year), many DC Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites can help you file the standalone form.  For persons 60 or older, you may be able to get help from Legal Counsel for the Elderly, LCE Schedule H Help.

  • If you use a private tax preparer, make sure to ask them about Schedule H. This credit is often overlooked!

  • If you were eligible for this credit in prior years and didn’t get it, you can file for the last three years!